Help and FAQs
Site usage tips
- The search is not an exact search. It is a FUZZY SEARCH. There are heuristics embedded to help get the widest search results. Examples
- Search ‘girl’ will yield ‘girls’ and vice versa — GOOD
- Search ‘easter’ will yield ‘east’ and ‘eastern’ — not good but you can either weed out results visually or build a search with the AND, OR and NOT.
- All keywords, location and descriptions will be searched
- Image file name can be used. Exact name.
- Take note if given the choice to « Search in this gallery only »
- When looking at large number of results, you might find it useful to « Group by gallery » Example, searching Montreal the regular way and then grouping by gallery. This might give you some ideas based on the galleries we have cross referenced the images in already
From Photodeck documentation: Boolean operators help you or your visitor refine their search. For instance:
- « Apple Orange » or « Apple AND Orange » will return all images that have both words in their metadata ;
- « Apple OR Orange » will return images that have either the « Apple » word or the « Orange » word in their metadata. Note that the OR operator must be in capital letters ;
- + »black cat » will return images that match the exact phrase « black cat » ;
- « Kid OR Child AND Male » will return images of boys (the « AND » is optional) ;
- « A AND B OR C AND D AND E OR F » means « A AND D AND (B OR C OR E OR F) ».
Known issues and problems
The browser ‘back’ button
Minor problem that might annoy some. The browser ‘back’ button generally works find except when you go ‘back’ after a keyword search. If you see no result after back, go click explicitly where you want to go. Note the ‘breadcrumb’ buttons on the lower left of the previous galleries.
Can I name a lightbox? Yes.
The default name is the date of creation. You can fill in the optional Lightbox name field and then press the Update lightbox button to name it. You might need to toggle to another lightboxes or refresh the page to see this one updated in the pulldown list.
Can I have multiple light boxes? Yes
You can have multiple lightboxes. When you ‘save an image to a light box’ it adds it to the current active one. To switch to a different one you previously created, select the pulldown menu My Lightboxes from the my lightbox page. You must be registered and logged in first.
You can create a new lightbox with the New Lightbox button. It might be nice to name the lightbox first before going to a new lightbox.
How do I share a lightbox with somebody? Send the link
Use the Email Lightbox button inside the lightbox page. You may elect to make it shareable as read-only or not.
The receiving party does NOT need to be registered on this site to simply view the lightbox or the site. Anybody you pass the (secrete) link to will be able to enter and see your lightbox. Your collaborator needs to register if they want to collaborate with you on the lightbox: leave comments, add/remove photos.
Rights, royalties and releases
RIGHTS MANAGED(RM): The vast majority of the images on this website are Rights Managed(RM).
ROYALTY FREE (RF): The IMAGINE collection, created specifically for web designers, graphical artists and bloggers will be offered Royalty Free (RF) at a lesser rate than the bulk of the RM photos. The stylistic IMAGINE collection is taken from an iPhone and its special effect filters.
MODEL RELEASES: unless indicated, images do not carry model releases. The global search has the option to search with the model release tag